Search & Win

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

God Bless Ameica!

Christopher has been singing the song God Bless America for the last few weeks...or at least his variation of the song. I have yet to capture it on video, though. He's very funny about it - he doesn't want anyone singing along with him (I tried a few times to help him with the words) and he doesn't want any recognition that he's singing...otherwise, he stops singing and refuses to go on. I'm pretty sure this song is part of the PK Thanksgiving Program at his school...so, I'm a little anxious to see how that will go!

Something else that I'm a little anxious to see how it goes is life under our newly chosen President of the United States. Not anxious, as in scared...because I know God is in control and there is NOTHING that Obama can do without God's permission! But rather, anxious as in uncertain. I've found it interesting how Obama made statements & decision that at the time were convenient for his campaign...and then changed those statements & decisions if they became inconvenient, expecting that Joe Public (not to be confused with Joe the Plummer) would not notice...which, apparently they did not. David, being the history buff that he is, has been sharing with me some rather uncanny similarities in things that Obama is saying to things Hitler said when he was first elected into office. I can only hope that America will not be so tolerant that we repeat the mistakes made in Germany several decades ago and soon become a dictatorship rather than a democracy!

The other thing that has me wondering what this new term will bring is realizing just how close we are to the end times. While I have always been interested in Revelations, the second coming of Christ, and the end times, I am not one to stand out on the street corner with a sign declaring the end is near. However, as I read scripture and see just how many prophesies have been & are being fulfilled, I do suddenly feel more of a sense of urgency than I ever have before. I can remember as a young teen, my grandfather shared with me that he thought Jesus would return sometime during my lifetime. Even though it initially excited me to think that such a grand event would actually happen in my lifetime, the thought now is rather sobering. I completely believe that no one will know the exact day and time of Christ's coming, and at the same time, I also believe that He gave us the signs of His second coming for a reason - so we could be prepared and reach others for His kingdom.

I do not know if we will be able to recognize & socialize with each other in Heaven as we do here on earth, but I sure don't want to get there and miss a single friend or family member...especially knowing that if they aren't with me, they are spending eternity in a place called Hell - where there is eternal darkness, blistering fire, and constant pain & suffering. I've often heard the saying that for Christians, earth is as close as we'll ever get to hell...but for those who reject Christ as their Savior, this is the closest they will ever get to Heaven. What that says to me is that as bad as things are here on earth, they will be a gazillion times worse in hell...and on the flip side, the best things on earth pale in comparison to how amazingly wonderful Heaven will be! Can you imagine walking streets made of gold, without the worry of someone knocking you over so they can rip it up for themselves? Can you imagine a world where there are no more tears, no more sickness, no more suffering, no more anger...only love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, & self-control? How amazing Heaven is going to be!!! Are you ready??

No comments: