Search & Win

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Access Granted


Way back before David and I were officially dating...back when we were just friends, but on the cusp of becoming more than that, I had a very interesting experience that I thought about again yesterday and decided to share with you.

You see, David had just helped me pick out my then-new car (which is now almost 9 years old). I wanted to give him a thank-you note, but didn't know his address - or for that matter, even his phone number. What I did know was where he worked (and still works today). He works in a very exclusive gated community where every homeowner is a multi-millionaire and some very well-known public figures live. So, as you can imagine, security is at a premium!

At the time, I worked for a realtor who was with a very prestigious real estate firm. I was used to driving up to any gated community in town and just giving my name and the company I worked for in order to gain access into the gate. So, I figured I could do the same with the gated community where David worked...this is how it went down:

Me: I'm Kara Jansen with Premier Properties (big smile)

Guard: And????

Me: (a little confused that he didn't just open the gate) And I'm here to see David Jansen? (yes, there was a question in my voice - all confidence I had driving up to the gate was quickly vanishing!)

Guard: Do you have an appointment?

Me: Uh...no. But I have this card I want to give him. (feeling a bit sheepish now & quite embarrassed)

Guard: Then I suggest you go home, make an appointment, and then come back and try again.

The guard wasn't rude, and he wasn't trying to be mean, he was just doing his job...following orders. I tried asking him if he would give my card to David, but that didn't fly either. So, I sheepishly backed out and went about my business.

Later, when I had the opportunity to actually give David my card, I told him what had happened. He chuckled & said,

"Oh...I can fix that! I'll just put you on the list!"

From that moment on, all I had to do was give my name and tell them I wanted to see David...then I was met with, "Have a nice day!" and an open gate! Access Granted! :)

The realtor I worked for at the time was jealous! She said, "I can't even get in there unless I have a listing in there!" All I could do was smile. :)

Today, all I have to do when I go to David's work is roll down my window and make a little small talk with the guard (if it's one that knows me) or just let them know I'm David Jansen's wife (if it's a new guard) and I'm in! ACCESS GRANTED!!!

Yesterday, it dawned on me how Heaven is a lot like that gated community. Heaven is a wonderful place with lots of mansions...and lots of well-known people live there! However, the gate is locked and the guard is just doing his job by making sure only those who are "on the list" get in. However, there's no going back to make an appointment...you only get one chance to approach the gates of Heaven. So, the sooner you get on the list, the better...because you never know when it will be your time to approach that gate!

How do you get on the list? Well, that's as simple as how I got on the list for the gated community. You just have to know someone who can put you on the list. Jesus is that someone! He gave up His throne in Heaven to be born as a baby in a stable, to teach us what Heaven is like and how to get there, and then stretched out His arms and died so that our name could be on the list! The only thing we have to do, is accept His free gift of salvation!

Just as any gift doesn't belong to the receiver until they accept it, the gift of salvation that Jesus offers ALL of us only belongs to those who willingly accept it! And by accepting it, your name is written in The Book Of Life...you are ON THE LIST!

If you have never accepted Christ as your savior, I urge you to contact me or find a friend or Bible-believing church to tell you all about Him and how you can be on the list!

Then, someday, when your time here on earth is done, you can let the guard at Heaven's gate know that Jesus put your name on the list. And he will reply,

"ACCESS GRANTED!"

No comments: