Search & Win

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tonsillitis Strikes! Yikes!


I took Christopher to the doctor today because he started running a fever last night and was complaining of a sore throat. Christopher is very rarely sick, and when he is, it's usually something minor. So, as I packed him up to go to Dr. Wilson's office, I thought maybe we'd get a prescription, directions for rest and fluids, and he'd be back to school tomorrow or the next day. But oh no...not this time! I knew it was going to be different the minute the nurse told me to hope that the throat culture came back positive for strep! What!?! I never thought I'd see the day I actually HOPED my child would have Strep Throat! But, I'm here to tell you...that day has arrived!


Christopher is such a trooper! He actually likes going to see Dr. Wilson - but he was a little concerned that he might get a shot. He kept telling me, "Mommy, I don't want a shot." Fortunately, no shots this time...but he had to endure his very first throat culture. Bless his heart, he sat there better than most grown-ups and let the nurse poke that Q-tip thing down his throat. Tears welling in his eyes and the gagging noises were all that gave any indication what he was experiencing was at all uncomfortable. He didn't fight or pull away, he just obediently let her do what she needed to do. When she was finished, he simply said, "I don't like that." Bless his precious little heart!


If you read the title to this post, then you've probably already guessed correctly, the quick test came back negative for Strep Throat. They'll send it off to be sure, but Dr. Wilson said he'd be surprised if he got a different result. Since Tonsillitis is viral, there's not much we can do but let it run its course. So, Christopher's home from school for at least the rest of the week...maybe next week, too - depending on how he's feeling. We can give him Tylenol or Motrin for the fever & pain and we're supposed to get him to eat whatever he will and to drink lots of fluids.


The good news is that he doesn't seem to feel all that bad. He'll tell you his throat is sick, but he's still playing - just a little more quietly right now. Shortly after we got home, he told me, "Mommy, I'm all better now!" I'm not sure if he thinks just going to Dr. Wilson's office makes him all better or if he's somehow realizing that he's going to miss out on some stuff we'd planned to do this week. Hopefully, he really will be better soon and be able to go to school next week. :) Please say a prayer for us!

No comments: